26 Oct Data Conversion
QuickBooks File Conversion
For a variety of reasons QuickBooks files can get large: Sometimes there is just too many years of data, sometimes the inventory or payroll transactions contribute to the increase in size. There can be other issues that create the need for file conversion work such as: a new legal entity but the transactions are in the previous QuickBooks file; data entry done into a wrong file; or two files that should be one using the class feature to keep activity separate. We have been seeing even larger files for those clients who have converted to QuickBooks 2006/2007 and Enterprise Solutions 6/7. While larger files themselves may not be a cause for alarm, managing a large file, especially when creating reports or when it is time to transfer it, can be problematic (i.e. the back up with version 2006 is still 75% of the size of the qbw data file and if the file is damaged the portable company file that is about 10% of the size may not work).
Create a new file. For years we have been using a variety of tools to deal with data transfer issues. Starting in 2006 we have now taken the process one step further. In the past we could use a tool to transfer beginning balances as of a specific date. While this was helpful, it did not go far enough when creating statements or when using a data transfer tool that wanted to link to a specific invoice. So we now have a process that works quite well.
- Create a new file
- Transfer the lists
- Transfer line balance detail for open invoices and unpaid bills (any partial payments are entered manually).
- Transfer the remaining beginning balances
- Reconcile beginning Trial Balance, confirm aging, inventory valuation and bank reconciliation.
- Transfer the activity from beginning balance date to current.
- Reconcile ending Trial Balance, confirm aging, inventory valuation, and bank reconciliation.
If you or your clients need to have this process completed, you can purchase the tools and do it yourself or contact us to discuss how we can help.
How we can help:
Since we have completed the process in the past, we have become pretty good at it. While the tools themselves are easy to use, there is, like anything else, a learning curve to using them. In addition, depending on the size of the file, the computer processing time can be an issue.
Each file is a little different so we provide a custom quote for each project. For reference, the base price is $1,500 for a 400 MB size file or less, 2 active reconciliations, less than 75 outstanding transactions on the beginning balance reconciliation, open invoice report of 4 pages or less, and unpaid bills report of 4 pages or less for an accrual basis file. Some of the situations which will result in an additional fee are large files, payroll wage items that are required to transfer timesheets, QuickBooks payroll, inventory and/or inventory assembly, excessive number of transactions, excessive templates, syntax issues such as names with a ‘ or ” in them, etc.
When we receive the retainer payment and the file, we will begin to transfer the beginning balances. During this time the client can continue to enter new transactions and not make any list changes, but it is critical that no changes are made prior to the transfer date (if changes are made, an additional fee will apply to try to find the changes). For this process allow 3 working days. Once we have the new file and beginning balances reconciled, we will request another copy of the file. During this time it is critical that no transactions and no changes are made as this information will not be included in the new file. We will work with you to try to schedule the “down time” to minimize your inconvenience, but please allow 3 working days for the process to be completed. Depending on the size of the file, we may not have any control since often it just takes time for the computer to crank through the transactions. In other instances, we may be able to negotiate a rush on the project.
Limitations the Client Needs to Know:
- Extra time may be required by us for syntax issue with SDK: It does not like ‘ or “
- Memorized reports need to be handled individually by client (export/import or re-create)
- Memorized transactions do not transfer; need to be re-entered by client
- Invoice templates do not transfer as a group, they need to be done individual which can require extra time
- Passwords/Preferences need to be set up again by client
- We assume old file amounts are right, no clean up is included
- Finance Charges: be careful the first time since it does not know when done last
- Timesheets: if timesheets are to be transferred we need to set up payroll items
- Payroll: these lists and transactions do not transfer, the solution varies project to project which can require extra time